art smith's fried chick'n
for the cashew cream
- 1 cup cashews, whole raw
- water for covering cashews by 1"
for the chick'n
- 1 pkg gardein scallopini
- 2 cups cashew cream
- 1 Tbsp tabasco
- 1 cup flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tspgarlic powder
- 1 tspold bay seasoning
- 2 tspcayenne pepper
- 1 tspblack pepper, freshly ground
- vegetable oil for frying
preparationFor Cashew Cream (prepare the night before):
1. Put the cashews in a bowl and add cold water to cover them. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
2. Drain the cashews and rinse under cold water. Place in a blender with enough fresh cold water to cover them by 1 inch. Blend on high for several minutes until very smooth and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
For the Chick'n:
1. Place the chick’n in a medium bowl and add the cashew cream and tabasco. Stir well to coat.
2. In a shallow bowl, mix the flour (or gluten free flour), baking powder, garlic powder, Old Bay, cayenne, and black pepper. Shake the excess marinade (cashew cream and tabasco) off the chick’n, and then dredge in the flour. Shake excess flour then dip the chick’n back into the cashew cream and coat again in the flour.
3. Add enough oil to a deep large skillet to create a depth of 1”. Heat over medium-high heat to 350º F (use a deep-frying thermometer or an electric frying pan).
4. Fry the chick’n in batches until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve.