beefless gyro with tzatziki
- 1/3 cupextra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsppaprika
- 1 tsporegano, dried
- 1/2 tspmarjoram, dried
- 4 tspminced garlic
- 1/2 tspsea salt, fine
- 1/4 tspcoarse black pepper
- 1 pkggardein beefless tips
- 46" skewers (soaked in water overnight)
- 1/2 cupsour cream (vegan option available)
- 1/2 cupplain yogurt (vegan option available
- 1 tblspminced garlic
- 1/4 cupwhite onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cupcucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 tbsplemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tblspparsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 tspwhite pepper
- 4pita bread
- 1onion sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
- 1/4 cupgrape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cupwatercress or shredded leaf lettuce
- to tastetzatziki sauce
preparationIn a large bowl whisk olive oil, paprika, oregano, marjoram, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Add frozen beefless tips and mix well to coat. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
Skewer 4-5 beefless tips onto each skewer.
In a medium bowl, mix sour cream and yogurt. Fold in the white onion, cucumber, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, white pepper and 1/4 tsp salt, adjust seasonings to taste.
On a grill over medium heat, grill beefless tips for 6-8 minutes until browned and hot throughout turning for even cooking. Set aside for 1 minute.
Reserve marinade for vegetables.
Meanwhile brush onion and green pepper with reserved marinade and grill for 4-5 minutes until browned and hot through.
Grill pitas until marked and warmed, approximately one minute per side.
Fill pita bread with cooked beefless tips, onions, green pepper and grape tomatoes.
Top with tzatziki sauce, watercress or shredded leaf lettuce.
Chef Tip: Serve with your favorite hot sauce or hummus.