beefless moroccan tagine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 can(15 oz) diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 can(15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lbsweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cupsvegetable stock
- 1 pkggardein beefless tips
- 2 tspvegetable oil
- 1 bunchchard, thick stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsplemon
- for garnishparsley or cilantro leaves
preparationHeat the oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt. Cook until the spices are fully incorporated and aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until thick, 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and stock. Bring to a simmer, turn the heat back down to medium-low and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
• Meanwhile, preheat a non stick pan with 2 tsp of vegetable oil over medium high heat. Cook the gardein beefless tips on all sides until well browned and firm to the touch.• Fold the cooked tips and chard into the stew and cook until the greens are wilted, about 2 minutes. Divide between 6 bowls and enjoy alongside rice, quinoa or crusty bread.
***This recipe was created by our friend, Phoebe Lapine!