beet & orange autumn salad
- 1/2 cupcider vinegar
- 1/2 cupsherry vinegar
- 2 fl ozmaple syrup
- 2 Tbspshallots, minced
- 1/4 tspblack pepper, crushed
- 1/4 tsp coriander ground
- pinchdry mustard
- 1/4 tspfenugreek ground
- 3 fl ozcanola oil, cold pressed
- 5 fl ozolive oil, extra virgin
- 3 Tbspchives thinly sliced
- 3 cupsbaby spinach, washed
- 3orange, sectioned and peeled
- 10 red beets, golf ball sized, peeled & roasted
- 2 Tbspolive oil
preparationFor the vinaigrette:
In a large saucepan combine the vinegars, maple syrup, shallots, black pepper, coriander, dry mustard, and fenugreek. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by one-third. Remove from the heat and chill. Once chilled, purée in a blender, while slowly adding the canola and the olive oil. Strain, then add the chives.
For the roasted beets:
Heat the oven to 400°F.
In a baking dish, combine the beets with the vegetable oil and roast until soft (approx 45 minutes). Peel and chill.
To assemble the salad:
Slice the beets quartering them and arrange on a plate with the orange slices and spinach then drizzle with the maple sherry vinaigrette.