chef tal’s cauliflower with olives & tomatoes
- 2 headscauliflower (1 ½ pounds each), stems and cores removed, florets chopped into 1-in pieces
- 4 tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2red onion, finely diced
- 2celery stalks
- 1 cupmixed Nicoise and Castelvetrano olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 8sun-dried tomatoes in oil, rained and coarsely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3arred Calabrese peppers packed in oil, stemmed, halved lengthwise, seeded, and chopped
- 3 clovesgarlic, minced
- 3 tbspwhite balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cupfresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cuppine nuts, toasted
- zest of 1 lemon, removed with zester
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Put the cauliflower in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly. Spread the cauliflower out in a single layer on a large baking sheet and roast for 30 to 35 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time, until tender and slightly charred. Set aside. (The roasted cauliflower can be prepared a couple of hours in advance, covered, and held at room temperature.)
When the oil is hot, add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, peppers, and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the roasted cauliflower, along with the vinegar, tossing to combine, and heat through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the cauliflower to a serving bowl or individual plates and scatter the parsley, pine nuts, and lemon zest on top. Serve warm.
*Excerpted from Crossroads by Tal Ronnen with Scot Jones (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2015. Photographs by Lisa Romerein.*