marinating the chicken
- 1 pkg gardein chick'n strips, sauce pack not needed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsplemon zest (approx. 1/2 lemon), for the chick'n
- 1 tspchili flakes (or to taste), for the chick'n
- 1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper, for the chick'n
- wood or metal skewers
cooking & serving the souvlaki
- Vegetable oil (if grilling)
- to taste sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- (for finishing)extra-virgin olive oil
- Tzatziki (or vegan option), for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups cashew cream
- 3 tbsp onion, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cupcucumber, roughly chopped
- 3 tbspfresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 tspsea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tspfreshly ground black pepper
preparationChick'n needs to defrost - leave at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. In the meantime, in a small mixing bowl, or in the casserole dish you will use to marinate the chick’n, add the garlic, oregano, lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil and add then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To form the chick’n souvlaki, add the defrosted chick’n to a bowl. Add the freshly ground pepper, chili flakes and lemon zest. Using a fork, mash the mixture together until you reach a slightly coarse, yet smooth consistency.
Next, using your hands, form some of the mixture into a long oval shape. Press the mixture around a skewer.
Once all of the skewers are done, place them into the marinade and marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, lightly oil the grill and then add the skewers. Cook the skewers for 4 to 6 minutes, or until heated through and nicely browned on all sides. Serve the skewers with your favorite sides, such as couscous salad, sliced baby cucumbers and tomatoes, as well as a non-dairy tzatziki.
*NOTE: Before skewering the chick’n, soak the wood skewers in water for at least 2 hours (if possible). This will help prevent them from burning while grilling.
Add all the ingredients together with the cashew cream, mix together and taste for seasoning.
This dip goes particularly well with the Chick'n Souvlaki.