fishless filet tempura sushi roll
- 1 pkg gardein golden fishless filets
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cucumber, seeds removed, julienned
- 1avocado, sliced
- 6sushi nori sheets
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbspgranulated sugar
- 1 tbspkosher salt
- pickled ginger
preparationFor Golden Fishless Filets:
1. Preheat conventional/toaster oven to 425°F.
2. Bake frozen fishless filet on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes (oven) or 12-14 minutes (toaster oven) per side until golden brown, crisp and hot throughout. (Oven temperatures may vary).
3. Allow to cool enough to touch. Cut lengthways into 3 strips and put aside.
1. Rinse rice several times in a fine mesh sieve to remove excess starch.
2. Combine rice and 2 cup water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 12-15 minutes.
3. Remove rice from heat and allow to sit, covered, for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Transfer rice to large glass or wooden bowl and combine with vinegar, sugar and salt. Do not over mix.
5. Allow rice to cook to room temperature, covered with damp towel to prevent drying. Do not refrigerate rice as this will cause rice to become hardened.
1. Lay nori sheet, shiny side down, onto a cling film lined sushi mat.
2. Lightly press approximately ½ cup prepared sushi rice onto nori, leaving a ½" border at the top of the long edge. (Optional: sprinkle with sesame seeds)
3. Layer 3 strips of fishless filets, cucumber, avocado and carrot about 1" from the bottom of the long edge of the rice and nori.
4. Holding the fillings in place with your fingers, tightly roll the nori and rice into a cylinder, using the mat to shape the roll. Slightly dampen the exposed nori edge to help it stick together.
5. Slice the sushi roll with a dampened knife into about 8 pieces.
6. Serve with pickled ginger and wasabi.