quick chick’n chili
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pkg gardein scallopini or teriyaki chick'n strips (no sauce)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsptomato paste
- 1 tinchipotle chili pepper in adobe sauce, minced
- 12 oz bottleMexican lager-styled beer
- 14 oz tinwhole tomatoes including juice
- 14 oz tinblack bean, rinsed and drained
- 1 cupfrozen corn
lime sour cream topping
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or vegan option)
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- to taste green onions, sliced
- to taste cilantro
- to taste avocado
- to tastecheese, grated (or vegan option)
- to tastetortilla chips
- to tastelime sour cream (optional)
preparationSauté from frozen in a non stick pan over medium heat for 1 minute on each side. Add 3 Tbsp of water (per 2 pieces) cover for 2 minutes. Uncover, turn and cook for an additional minute. Tear with fork and knife. Set aside to cool.
Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add garlic and seasonings and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and chipotle pepper and allow to cook for 1 more minute. Add beer and, stirring, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer and allow to cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice, crushing tomatoes with a fork. Add shredded scallopini or chick’n strips, beans, and corn. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until piping hot.
To make lime sour cream topping, combine sour cream, lime juice, and jalapeno in a bowl. Stir to blend.
Ladle chili into bowls, dollop with lime sour cream and top with a few of your favourite garnishes.