spiced cranberry beet compote
- 2large red beets, peeled and diced into 1/4 " cubes
- 1 Tbspcoconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tspgaram masala or curry powder
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cupfresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisens
- 1/2 tsporange zest
- 3 Tbspsugar
- 1 tspsalt
- 1/2 cupwater
- to tasteground black pepper
preparationBring a pot of water to a boil, add beets and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Add oil to a frying pan and warm over medium heat. Add garam masala or curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add shallots and sauté until starting to soften, about 2 minutes.
Stir in beets, cranberries, raisins, orange zest, vinegar, sugar, salt and water. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have popped and compote has thickened, about 18 to 20 minutes. Season to taste with pepper.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm or at room temperature.