teriyaki & grilled pineapple burger
- 1/2 cuplow sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 cupmirin
- 2 tblspbrown sugar
- 1 tblspfresh grated ginger
- 1 pkggardein ultimate beefless burger
- 8slices swiss cheese (vegan option avaiable)
- 4fresh pineapple rings
- 4sesame seed hamburger buns, cut in half
- 4 tblspmayonnaise (vegan option available)
- 4pieces of boston bibb or iceberg lettuce
- 1/2red onion, cut into thin slices
preparationTo make teriyaki sauce stir together soy sauce, mirin and brown sugar in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in ginger, and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, preheat grill.
Brush frozen gardein burgers with some of the teriyaki sauce. Grill over medium heat, turning every minute for 4 to 6 minutes, brushing with teriyaki sauce frequently.
During last minute of cooking, place a slice of cheese on each burger and melt.
Grill pineapple slices over medium heat until caramelized, about 1 minute per side.
Toast cut side of hamburger buns on grill over medium heat.
Assemble burgers by spreading some of the mayonnaise on bottom hamburger bun, topping with a piece of lettuce, a few slices of onion, gardein ultimate burger patty and a slice of grilled pineapple.
Drizzle with a little of remaining teriyaki sauce before capping each burger with a hamburger bun top. Serve immediately.
Chef Tip: Mirin is a sweetened rice wine that can be found in the Asian or international section of your grocery store.